Modernization of Property Disclosures for Mining Registrants
The SEC adopted amendments to modernize property disclosures for mining registrants recently on October 31, 2018. The amendments are intended to provide investors with a more comprehensive understanding of a registrant’s mining properties, which should help them make more informed investment decisions. The amendments also will more closely align the Commission’s disclosure requirements and policies for mining properties with current industry and global regulatory practices and standards.
Highlights from the amendments:
- Require a registrant with material mining operations to disclose certain information concerning its mineral resources in addition to its mineral reserves;
- Require a registrant’s disclosure of exploration results, mineral resources, or mineral reserves in SEC filings to be based on, and accurately reflect information and supporting documentation prepared by a “qualified person” (i.e., a mining expert);
- Require a registrant to obtain a dated and signed technical report summary from the qualified person. This technical report summary will also be filed as an exhibit to the relevant SEC filings in certain circumstances;
- Require certain registrants with material mining operations to provide investors with an overview of its properties and mining operations, including summary and individual property disclosure provisions in either a narrative or tabular format; and
- Provide updated definitions of mineral reserves and mineral resources.
The amendments and final rules reflect several changes to the proposed rules issued in June 2016 based on feedback received by the SEC. The press release issued by the SEC on the amendments contains further details about these changes.
SEC Registrants are required to comply with the new rules in their first fiscal year beginning on or after January 1, 2021. Filers may voluntarily early adopt at an earlier date. The existing disclosure requirements contained in Guide 7 remain effective until all registrants are required to comply with the final rules, and then they will be rescinded.
About Centri Business Consulting, LLC
Centri Business Consulting provides the highest quality advisory consulting services to its clients by being reliable and responsive to their needs. Centri provides companies with the expertise they need to meet their reporting demands. Centri specializes in financial reporting, internal controls, technical accounting research, valuation, mergers & acquisitions, and tax, CFO and HR advisory services for companies of various sizes and industries. From complex technical accounting transactions to monthly financial reporting, our professionals can offer any organization the specialized expertise and multilayered skillsets to ensure the project is completed timely and accurately.
Eight Penn Center
1628 JFK Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19103
530 Seventh Avenue
New York, NY 10018
4509 Creedmoor Rd
Raleigh, NC 27612
615 Channelside Drive
Tampa, FL 33602
50 Milk Street
Boston, MA 02109
1775 Tysons Blvd
McLean, VA 22102
8310 South Valley Highway
Englewood, CO 80112